A fun, family tradition continues as Rotary’s Oktoberfest returns to The District in Quincy, Illinois with more to do, more to see, and TWO high-energy polka bands that’ll keep your toes tapping!
WHAT: 5th Annual Rotary Oktoberfest
WHEN: Saturday, October 7th, 2017 — Noon to 10pm
WHERE: Quincy’s German Historic District outside of Dick & Brothers brewery. York Street between 9th and 10th streets
Party in the strasse with thousands! York street between 9th and 10th will host beer trucks from the major local distributors offering dozens of domestic and German beers.
In the buildings of the old Dick Brothers Brewery craft and home brewers will have tastings ($10), while literally thousands of people will tour the tunnels and caverns ($10 per person) beneath the Brewery complex – and York street!
If you’re in the mood for a little (and we do mean little) exercise with your Oktoberfest, sign up ($10) for the not-so-grueling 0.2k Beer & Brat Dash!
And throughout the day, funky polka music courtesy of Bolzen Beer Band and later The Heidelberg German Band will have you dancing in the street!
We haven’t forgotten families either – a full day of kid’s activities in the Kinderstrasse will include creating German crafts with the talented staff of the Quincy Art Center; German Language/Music/Dance will be taught by Judy Percy of Music Lingua; and Rotarians will keep kids entertained reading and telling traditional German folk tales and stories. Don’t miss it!
Brewery Tunnel and Cavern Tours
Tour the tunnels and caverns under Dick Brothers Brewery – Noon – 8pm, $10/person
New in 2017 – a tunnel is opening to the public for the first time in 80 years!
- When: Saturday, October 7, 2017
- When: Noon to 8pm
- tours are $10 for adults over 21 – tours include 5 Home & Craft Brew Tasting tickets
- tours are $5 for ages 9 – 20
- unfortunately due to insurance requirements, children under 9 are not permitted on the tours
- tours include 5 Home & Craft Brew Tasting tickets
- tours start every 15 minutes
0.2K Beer & Brat Dash: Dash 200 meters while drinking a beer and eating a brat!
- Heats at 3pm, 5pm, and 7pm
- All participants get a commemorative Oktoberfest beer stein (full of beer!), a delicious brat, and the highly coveted 0.2k Beer & Brat Dash window sticker!
Dancing and live music – hey, it’s a street party (Strassenfest)! We’ll have beer on tap from the major distributors offering dozens of brands of domestic and German beers, along with craft brew tastings in the Brewery!
- Bolzen Beer Band (check out their videos, these guys are bringing the fun!) – Noon to 4pm
- Heidelberg German Band – 5:30pm – 9:30pm
- Home & Craft Brew Tastings in Brewery Caverns – $10 tastings – Noon to 4pm
- Brats and other delicious food cooked and served hot!
- Kinderstrasse: German-themed kid’s activities with Quincy Art Center’s talented staff – 12-3pm
- Brewery Tunnel & Cavern Tours
- 0.2K Beer & Brat Dash – 3pm, 5pm, and 7pm
- Free Shuttle/Parking at the Quincy Senior Center from 1 – 6 pm
* Mississippi Belle Distributors * Rinella Company * Haubrich Enterprises
* WGEM * Quincy Herald-Whig * Refreshment Services Pepsi * County Market * Y101 * Knapheide
Priority One Printing * State Street Bank * John Wood Comm College
Quincy Area Convention & Visitors Bureau * Quincy Recycle * Classic Colors
Free admission. All proceeds benefit local Rotary Club Projects.
Take a look at past Oktoberfests… this could be you!